Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

We have a Trane CG 20-60 chiller. The chiller is blowing

Customer Question

We have a Trane CG 20-60 chiller. The chiller is blowing fuses. Can you help?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

Hello, how long does it take to blow a fuse after the chiller starts... instantly? or after a few hours?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
after it runs a few hours
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

What is the FLA (full load amperage) rating shown on the units name plate? What amperage is it drawing? What are head and suction pressures.?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The compressors are running at about 34 per compressor. I don't know the head and suction pressures.
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** the amperage stamped into the units name plate? It will be listed as RLA or FLA... (not LRA)

Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

What is the outside air temperature and the chilled water return temperature when the unit is drawing 34 amps at each compressor?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm not at the unit, so I don't have access to those figures. If I need them, I will need to recontact you
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

Use an electronic thermometer to measure the temperature of the liquid line as it leaves the air cooled condenser coils, tell me the outside air temperature at the time (I am checking for too much sub cooling at the condenser indicating a charge problem)

Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

I need all the figures and measurements that I have mentioned. I will be here when you post back... but it might take me an hour to get to your question.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will need to check the items you need and recontact later
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

That will work. http://professional.justanswer.com/chat/index/7e3eb13639c84adda05ae2cdafe562d2#

You can log back into your JA account and click on this question or save the link above to your browser and use that.