Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a Waterfurnace Georthermal split system that is t

Customer Question

I have a Waterfurnace Georthermal split system that is t working. Woke up to no air. Have three zone and all thermostats working. They indicate that the unit is cooling. When I checked the lights on the unit, none whatsoever. Unit seems "dead" no lights, no fan, nothing. I checked the circuit panel, no breakers tripped but I cycled them anyway. Called and tech can't come out until tomorrow. Anything else I should try? Never had this issue before and it's supposed to be 100 degrees out today.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 7 months ago.

Hello, you could look for the high pressure and low pressure safety cut out switches, however if those are tripped there would be a *cause for that, and the cause needs be discovered and corrected before the system will run reliably.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have no clue how to even do that. Wouldn't a problem cause a fault light? What kind of Water Furnace problems cause the unit to entirely shut off and no lights be present?
Expert:  Phil replied 7 months ago.

A bad printed circuit cause will result in no error codes in some circumstances.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
But I have no lights at all, would the bad printed circuit board cause that?So you are basically saying there is nothing I can really do until the tech gets there. We did have a thunderstorm two nights ago, but I would have thought that if there was a problem, I would have seen it yesterday, not today. I was thinking about going into the attic to see if there were any lights on the air handler.So a bad printed circuit board would shut the entire thing down and leave no lights on the display?
Expert:  Phil replied 7 months ago.

A lightning storm can destroy the printed circuit card, some other sensors and even some circuits inside the thermostat.

Expert:  Phil replied 7 months ago.

​as these circuits are damaged, there is no predicting which functions will work and which will not work since there are an unlimited number of possible defects that can be created