BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

I have 2 ac units connected to a 4 pole breaker which has 4

Customer Question

I have 2 ac units connected to a 4 pole breaker which has 4 wires connections (2 power/black and 2 neutral/white wires), the two black power wires are #1&2 and the two white wires are #3&4. The wire connections are 1/4 connection and 2/3 connection on the breaker. last week I had a shortage that lasted for a bout a second. at that time, my ac units stopped working. I didn't think about breaker until after I replaced the connectors and capacitors' in both units. I also replaced both thermostats. My AC repairman came over and checked everything out and determined that both ac units do work properly, however I am only getting low and high power to one unit which comes on and the other unit does not come on because I am not getting high power. The AC repairman felt that the breaker was bad so I replaced the breaker, however I am still not getting high power from same connection point on the breaker. repairman tested the power from the breaker and said that there still power from connection 1/4, I can alternate the wires to turn on each unit, individually, however I am not able to get high power from the 1/4 port. What else could be the problem?
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am willing to raise my price to $15.00 for a good answer.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have raised my price to 15.00
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Help via Email or Text Message. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have not heard from anyone yet.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Also,I remember that when I removed the breaker from the plate that it mounts to, I noticed a black burn spot on the plate which holds the part of the breaker that is not working. Could this burn spot cause a connection problem? Or is there another wire behind the plate that may have shorted out which is not allowing the connection. The plate is attached to the two main wires and the plate does have electricity going through it.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 4 months ago.

I am very sorry your question has not been picked up yet.

I just logged on and found you had not been assisted.

Please let me know if you still need help and I will do my best. Please do not "Rate" as we have not worked toward an answer yet.

If you would like to proceed let me know by replying

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It appears that I may have a bad spot on the bus that the breaker is mounted to. I can see something black on the connection port of the bus and it may not be allowing the breaker to make a good contact. Is this a common problem?

I cannot say "common" but I can tell you it is certainly one the items tat occur.

Especially with power related issues or a loose connection