Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My Honeywell thermostat display is showing 83 degrees in our

Customer Question

my Honeywell thermostat display is showing 83 degrees in our home and we have it set fo cool to 78 degrees. There is air coming from the vents, but it is not cold air --
It is not a programmable thermostat --
Is something I can check to see why it is not blowing cold air?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  D.E. Anderson replied 6 months ago.

Hi, how are you? Is this a split system or a package unit? Can you supply me with the model and serial numbers of the equipment? Also, do you have access to a volt meter and feel comfortable taking voltage measurements? Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
we recently moved into the home and there is no manual for the air conditioner. The thermostat only says Honeywell. There is no model and serial number on the front. I don't even know how to take the thermostat off the wall. I do see where the battery goes. I really don't know much about these things. Can you tell me where to find the model and serial number? No I do not have a volt meter

I wanted the model and serial of the actual hvac equipment not just the thermostat. The model and serial of the equipment will be on a data tag on the units. Do you know if it is a split or a package system? A package system will have everything outside with no indoor unit. A split will have a condenser outside with a indoor unit inside. Without a volt meter it will be difficult to diagnose. The thermostat should just pull off of the wall and will have a model number on a tag on the back of it.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I checked the unit outside and on the tag where it is supposed to show the model and serial number it is blank. I also noticed that the fan at the top of the unit was not running. That is probably why it isn't cooling, right?
As I said, I don't know how to remove the thermostat from the wall without breaking it -- I have tried to slide it all directions or lift it and I can't get it off -- any other ideas?

The thermostat pulls straight off the wall usually. It is usually pretty tight. Can you send me a picture of the thermostat and a picture of the outdoor unit? Then I will walk you through a couple tests to try without a volt meter. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have attached three pictures
1. thermostat
2. AC Unit outside
3. data tag

Thank you. Your thermostat pulls directly off the wall. It will tight. But it pulls straight off and snaps back on. Pull the thermostat off the wall and place a jumper between the R terminal and the Y terminal. Let me know if your outdoor unit starts up or not.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
what is a "jumper"?

A short piece of wire. The terminals may be RC and RW either should be fine to jump from. But a jumper is just a term for a short piece of wire used to jump your control voltage from the R terminal to the Y terminal which is what your thermostat does in order to bring on the outdoor unit. This test will tell us if the issue lies with the thermostat or some other point in the system.

It is 24v so it will not be harmful to you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I see the R and Y terminal - but I don't have any wire

Have a paper clip?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What can I use for the wire?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK -- now, do I disconnect the R and W and wrap them around each end of the paperclip?

Well, if you want to disconnect them, you can unscrew the Y terminal and take that wire and connect it at the R terminal. So, unscrew the Y terminal, take that wire out, unscrew the R terminal, and slip the Y wire in there and tighten it so it will remain connected while you step outside to see if the outdoor unit is running.

Slip the Y wire in there while the R wire remains there.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I put the Y wire in with the R wire and turned the unit to Cool -- the fan came on and is blowing warm air -- I checked the unit outside and the fan isn't working

Ok, leave that wire in place. I want you to go to the outdoor unit, remove the panel on the corner where the wiring goes in, there is typically high voltage present there along with control voltage. There is a device there where you will see your high voltage wires wired into. It is called a contactor. Tell me if that contactor is pulled in or not. Or if it sounds as though it is humming. The screws on the outdoor unit are 5/16"

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have turned the unit off so it doesn't overheat -- Is overheating a concern? Shall I turn it back on to check the outdoor unit?

Does the unit make any noise? I know you said the fan isn't turning, but can you hear the compressor running? I was under the impression that it was just sitting doing nothing other than the indoor unit running.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It is making a whirring noise as if it were functioning -- but the fan isn't turning -- that is why I was thinking it would overheat if I left it turned on -- Do you still need me to check inside it?

I do need you to check inside, but I need you to do something differently now. You can rewire your thermostat back as it was and put the thermostat back on the base plate. Then I want you to disconnect high voltage from your unit. SO pull your disconnect or turn off the breaker for the outdoor unit. Then I want you to take that corner panel and inspect the capacitor inside. The capacitor will be a silver cylindrical item with three wiring connections on it. Check for broken or burned wires. Specifically on the C terminal and the fan terminal of it. Also, inspect the form of it, such as the top. It should be relatively flat on the top where the wiring connections are mounted and flat on the bottom. Look for swelling or expansion. Often they will expand out into a dome, which is an indicator that it has shorted out on the inside. If you see anything that looks suspicious but you aren't sure take a photograph of it and send it and I will inspect the photograph for you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The problem now is that it is dark outside and I can't hold a flashlight and do all that you want me to do at the same time. I will have to wait until tomorrow when it is light

Alright. That is fine. I apologize for the misunderstanding earlier. I will be ready to continue as soon as you are. Thank you.