BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics

Thermocore T125S-H109C 115VAC, 3/4 ton. Unit has ran year

Customer Question

Thermocore T125S-H109C 115VAC, 3/4 ton. Unit has ran for a year good. After start up following a community power outage, unit seemed to be starting up like normal. Inside air handler set point temp indication and run indicator light on, fan blowing.
Outside compressor fan blowing. After a time (about 5 minutes or so) unit shut down and inside Error Code indicated.... EC with 7 flashes. Pulled electrical disconnect for 15 minutes and restarted. Same cycle. Noticed that compressor in and out lines were both ambient with maybe a slight temperature differential but very slight. Could not hear compressor running but that means nothing because normally I do not it is so quiet. What is wrong and how to fix it?
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This is a mini-split unit HVAC and heat pump unit combined.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello is there not an HVAC expert out there that can look up a error code: EC with 7 flashes???
and tell me what it means. If it helps I believe it is a Toshiba compressor.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 3 months ago.

I am very sorry your question has not been picked up yet.

I just logged on and found you had not been assisted.

Please let me know if you still need help and I will do my best. Please do not "Rate" as we have not worked toward an answer yet.

If you would like to proceed let me know by replying

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
please try and answer if you can.

That is the dreaded "communication Error" between the indoor and outdoor unit.

I would check all wiring and make sure no rodent damage or bare wires....but the most common cause of this fault is a defective control in the outdoor unit.

Basically the indoor does not recognize the signal from the outdoor.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks for your quick response and you being willing to help.
I am a bit confused right now.
I am a building contractor with some old style HVAC experience but not with mini-splits.
In the time that I was waiting for an answer I spent some time on the internet.
From what I understand; Midea, Sea Breeze, Senville, Shinco and Thermocore are all the same unit but with a different name plates.
On one of the many strings on line I found a reference pertaining to Midea that EC with 7 flashes meant that there was a Freon leak.
So I am not sure now what to do.
Do I obtain a $350 circuit board from some place or do I hire a local HVAC guy for about $350 to add some Freon and look for a leak?
So I ask you if your advice was based upon knowing 3/4 ton Thermocore unit T125S-H109 with my error code EC with 7 flashes, or are you speaking from generic experience?
Again thanks for wading in to this question. I have a total of 5 Thermocore units, all over 1 year old (others running fine after a bit of start up hiccups).... and I'm not feeling so confident now, so getting accurate advice is important.