Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

Just had some questions? 1- will a 2-2.5 ton Armstrong air

Customer Question

Hi there just had some questions?
1- will a 2-2.5 ton Armstrong air AC outside unit work with a variable air handler and a 3 ton coil unit??
2-I have 5/16" and 5/8" line set length 40-50ft in a upper condo the HVAC guy said he would install new 3/4" and 3/8" lines for out side and in the attic and then splice the sizes together with the pipes in the wall that are 5/8" and 5/16" size that are about 18' in the wall will that have any impact on the new unit?? Future problem??
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to help answer your question(s). Please provide all the information I ask for since I'm not onsite. At the end of our dialog you will be asked to rate my service, but please wait until then and all your question(s) have been answered satisfactorily. If you are not satisfied, I'd appreciate it if you'd tell me why before leaving a negative rating and allow me to continue to work with you until we are able to both agree on an outcome to follow. Thanks for your business!

You can usually go up 1/2 ton on your indoor coil size. So if you have a 2.5 ton condenser, you could go up to a 3 ton coil inside. As far as the line sizes, I do not see a problem with that.