BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics

In very hot weather came home to 8 degree house. Thermostat

Customer Question

in very hot weather came home to 8 degree house. Thermostat indicates cooling, but no temperature reduction. Felt the refrigerant pipe behind insulation, not cold, and didn't hear the unit on the roof vibrating. Turned breakers on and off. no change. Is there a reset button on exterior GE Weathertron XL series heat pump, or any diagnosis an amateur should attempt?
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: yes on thermostat. i haven't checked filters, but the outside unit is not running, and we are getting air flow inside.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: only if it is as simple as a reset switch.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: not that i can think of; just that the unit is tough to access on the roof.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 3 months ago.

I apologize for the delay. The unit on the roof does not have a reset that will enable the unit to run. If it were locked out it would need to be diagnosed as to why.

I am sorry but this particular unit will not offer a reset type procedure.