BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

I just bought a new thermostat and need help connecting it.

Customer Question

Hi there
JA: Hello. How can we be of help?
Customer: I just bought a new thermostat and need help connecting it.
JA: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?
Customer: the HVAC works fine just having trouble matching up the wiring for new thermostat
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I have a Honeywell Matertrol MM-2 and I'm trying to connect a Trane thermostats
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 5 months ago.

do you have more than one thermostat and you have a zone control panel that the thermostats wire into?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have 2 thermostats wired into a zone contro panel. I am replacing the Zone 1 thermostat and need help connecting the new thermostats
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The thermostat I'm replacing was easy to wire years ago since the wire labels matched those on the zone control panel but the new thermostats terminal labels are different.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

This control panel needs specific thermostats. That is why the numbers/letters differ.

Instead of just being able to change a thermostat to a furnace/ac...you are actually changing a thermostat to a zone panel....which is not compatible with your thermostat.

You would need to change your zone panel or convert to a 1 zone system