Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I am house sitting that are out of the country and their Ac

Customer Question

Hello. I am house sitting for friends that are out of the country and their Ac unit is running but not cooling the house. Should I turn it off for 5 minutes then back on or is that not beneficial. They have dogs I'm staying with and its just too warm in here for them
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to help answer your question(s). Please provide all the information I ask for since I'm not onsite. At the end of our dialog you will be asked to rate my service, but please wait until then and all your question(s) have been answered satisfactorily. If you are not satisfied, I'd appreciate it if you'd tell me why before leaving a negative rating and allow me to continue to work with you until we are able to both agree on an outcome to follow. Thanks for your business!

With the cooling set to ON, is inside blower blowing air through the vents? Outside unit running at all?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It is blowing some air through vents and it sounds like it is running down by the furnace in the basement. I've tried to flip the breaker in case that was blown. That did nothing . It's now 83 in the house.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 4 months ago.

Outside unit running at all?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's been blowing all day long. I turned it off in case pipes are frozen or anything and turned it back on. I don't know if it helped even for a little bit but it's even hotter in here than last night
Expert:  Tim H. replied 4 months ago.

Outside unit running at all?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm not sure. Let me go locate where it is and look
Expert:  Tim H. replied 4 months ago.

OK

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm having a hard time finding where it is in the dark outside. I guess I can wait and look in the morning when I can see.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 4 months ago.

OK, that would be a start.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok would the furnace be running inside and unit not running outside ?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 4 months ago.

That can happen, yes.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok when I find it I'll message you
Expert:  Tim H. replied 4 months ago.

Sounds good. Have a good evening.