Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

My infinity controller has reported temp sensor out of

Customer Question

my infinity controller has reported temp sensor out of range, not right now, but usually after a wind-driven rainstorm.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: on and off for several years - my carrier a/c unit was installed with the infinity at the same time seven 7 years ago.
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?
Customer: filters are replaced every 2--3 months. The thermostat has a fault history showing lots of temp sensor out of range.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: The A/C tech just left here. He believes the thermostat may have been damaged by the power going off and then back on in afew seconds.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need. Please be patient as many times we work with several customers at once.

Is this the outside air temperature sensor?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No. The outside sensor is protected by being 8 ft up on a wall under a large screened patio.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 3 months ago.

I guess what I'm asking is this error message referring to outside sensor?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Neither the owner's manual, installation guide, or the fault history in the infinity control says where this reading is coming from. In the summer rains my unit shuts off the cooling because the the sensor reads between 0 and 25 degrees and gradually warms up over a period of time. During winter rain my unit initiates the emergency heating because the temp is so low. I'm convinced there's something getting wet or being cooled by rainfall in someway that it send erroneous temp data. The error code in the infinity is 56 - temp sensor out of range.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 3 months ago.

I suspect a defective outside sensor. Have you tried replacing?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No I haven't replaced the outside sensor - my tech says the outside sensor has nothing to do with the inside temp sensor. I'm fairly skilled at troubleshooting techniques and the process of elimination to arrive at a solution or fix but this one has me scratching my head (and paying for help). I was hoping you would know if there's some device at the unit that could be getting wet or cooled by rain. If not, then maybe the outside sensor is somehow screwing with the logic board but other than replacing the sensor to see if it happens again I don't know where else to turn.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 3 months ago.

Regardless of what your tech says, I would replace outside sensor if the thermostat is indicating an error. You could also try "rebooting" the system by turning power off to the furnace or air handler for 10-15 min and then powering back up.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I live in Arizona so I won't reboot during the heat of summer. I will ook into replacing the outside sensor. I appreciate your trying to help on this but I don't feel satisfied. Not because you didn't try to help but I was hoping that your expertise with either my type of controller/thermostat or with my brand of A/C unit (Carrier). My expectations were a little high but that is what I was hoping for on this call.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 3 months ago.

OK, sounds good.