Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

The batteries died on my home air conditioning thermostat

Customer Question

The batteries died on my home air conditioning thermostat and now the air unit will not come on is there a reset button or something I can do on my end to resolve the problem?

Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to help answer your question(s). Please provide all the information I ask for since I'm not onsite. At the end of our dialog you will be asked to rate my service, but please wait until then and all your question(s) have been answered satisfactorily. If you are not satisfied, I'd appreciate it if you'd tell me why before leaving a negative rating and allow me to continue to work with you until we are able to both agree on an outcome to follow. Thanks for your business!

Is anything happening at the unit at all?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

No the unit is not coming on at all. is there some sort of reset button?

Expert:  Tim H. replied 8 months ago.

Not likely. Is the outside unit the only thing not coming on? In other words, is indoor blower working?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

no, nothing is coming on

Expert:  Tim H. replied 8 months ago.

If you put your thermostat on the fan ON position, does blower run?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

no

Expert:  Tim H. replied 8 months ago.

What is the make and full model of your furnace? Most furnaces have a 3 amp fuse on the control board. I would try checking this to see if it's blown.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

so you're saying that the dead batteries in the thermostat control are just a coincidence and have nothing to do the ac going off and not coming back on?

Expert:  Tim H. replied 8 months ago.

I'm saying that the thermostat may be bad and could have shorted out the fuse causing no power to the unit at all.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

but the thermostat digital read outs are showing now that I replaced the batteries and the batteries were dead because I tested them in another device to make sure.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 8 months ago.

That only means the thermostat has battery power (backup), not the 24 volt power from the furnace. Have you checked low voltage fuse on furnace board?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

please tell me where that is located. Also the breaker on my fuse box was tripped and I flipped that back on

Expert:  Tim H. replied 8 months ago.

I can't tell you exactly till I have full furnace make and model number. Because at this point I don't know anything about your furnace.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

American Standard WCC038F100BB

Expert:  Tim H. replied 8 months ago.

Is this your unit?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

yes

Expert:  Tim H. replied 8 months ago.

Inside that unit, inside one of the panels, there should be a control circuit board. On that board will be a blade type fuse.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

this is beyond what I am able to do. I will have to call a technician to come out

Expert:  Tim H. replied 8 months ago.

OK, yes, I would need to know that first. That fuse is in there to protect the board should something such as a thermostat be bad and cause a short or issue.

Let me know if you have additional questions on this. Otherwise, thank you for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service as that's how experts get paid (Thanks in advance for any bonus left). Even though the site has a deposit from you, it is not transferred to me until you positively rate my work. Otherwise experts work at their own time and expense. Feel free to post back with any more questions. Thank you!

Expert:  Tim H. replied 8 months ago.

Did you have any additional questions?