Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

We have Vtac units (GE) that are not cooling below 78... the

Customer Question

we have Vtac units (GE) that are not cooling below 78... the cold air is working, but then seems to cycle off. I am worried the wiring may not be correct, or the dip switches need to be adjusted...
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: I have, and the filters are clean
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if easy, yes...
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I checked the air flow, and everything looks to be sealed, vent is closed to recirc air,
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I will be working on this issue with you.

Tell me if you can how long this poor performance has been going on, had it worked properly earlier?

Does it only fail cool on very hot days, or does 78F seem to be the limit.

We can go from there.

Expert:  Phil replied 3 months ago.

For a time, back in the 80's title 24 energy code was adopted that required that thermostats be set no cooler than 78F in cooling mode and no warmer than 68F in the heating mode.... it is possible that your system was sold in that time frame, those laws are no longer in effect.

Expert:  Phil replied 3 months ago.

If this is in a larger building and you are in an apartment, it is likely that the main office remote controls the allowable temperature settings... if indeed that seems to be the case, tell me if other tennants or condominium owners are having the same problems.

We can go from there.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This is in a hotel, and the unit in question was just replaced last week with a brand new unit from GE. it is kicking out cool air, but seems to only kick it out for 5 minutes, and then the fan takes over without the condenser on. I am confused as to why it would kick off, and makes me think the thermostat is telling it to. We replaced the thermostat, it is a Honeywell basic unit.
Expert:  Phil replied 3 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** give the model number of the honeywell thermostat you just installed, and tell me which color wire you connected to which terminals on the thermostat, there are a few easy tests we can do.

If I miss you tonight I will pick up your response first thing in the morning,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The thermostat is a pro 3000 series, see pics attached
Expert:  Phil replied 3 months ago.

Hello again, sorry for the delay we had a storm here that disrupted the internet connections.

set dip switches on the extreme left, TL1c, Tl2c, and Tl3c in the up position one at a time, and monitor how the system behaves... I did not see any instructions in the manual on how to set them either way.

If that fails to produce the desired results and the system still shuts down after 5 minutes use a paper clip wire to make a jumper between red and yellow at the thermostat terminal strip inside the unit (not at the thermostat) you sent a picture of it, and notice if the system starts producing heat or not, if it produces heat, connect red, yellow and brown together using jumpers... tell me if the system cools and keeps cooling, or not. Try this with different dip switch settings on the extreme left.

We can go from there