Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

I have an older model Fedders Window A/C Unit 5000 BTU

Customer Question

Good afternoon! I have an older model Fedders Window A/C Unit 5000 BTU model# ***** I went to re-install this in a bedroom window, and when turning it on the upper dial (Master Control) broke off into my hands. I cannot get what is left out of the dial itself, and cannot grasp anything from where it broke off. If this is fixable, it would be a godsend as it is unbearably hot here in Columbia, MO, and I have a litter of Bloodhound Puppies due any day and I don't want them to die from hyperthermia. Can you either tell me what to do, or recommend a dealer where I should be able to get this taken care of here in Columbia, Missouri###-##-#### (###) ###-#### Thank you so very much. David A. Huddlestonsmith, M.D.***@******.***.
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I see you were fast enough to charge my Credit Card already for the $5.00, so is there any estimate when I will get an answer. Otherwise, I'll have to start with my phone book looking for help...I thought this idea was great, but time is marching on and I don't see any further actions as of yet. Thank you.
Expert:  Eddie replied 3 months ago.

Hi David ............I just saw this now and will do my best to get you going here ...........if you could upload a few pictures it would help considerably

How to send a photo or file instructions

We can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondence

If by some reason a resolution to the problem just isn't possible, I will do my best to supply you with any remaining options, from what other resources I can find.

Please, since we take pride in our good reputations, and you might feel the need to choose a bad service rating, I ask that you stop and consider replying back to me with any of your concerns.

Please always allow me time to prepare information for you. In case I have to go offline I am always checking back to keep things moving and expedited.

And thank you for your help and assistance

Expert:  Eddie replied 3 months ago.

Dave............I researched that control switch and the knob...........bad news.......we probably need both parts ......the knob is not a problem to get but the control switch I went to 6 different places ..............even E-bay and the part is not manufactured, sold, or available anymore

How old is the unit you have?

Expert:  Eddie replied 3 months ago.

I have to go offline but I am always checking in and I will in a little bit to see if you provided me with that request and question

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi there Eddie! I'm honestly not sure what you want me to do, as I've given you the model number and you should have a picture of my Air Conditioner. In my manual, and on the unit, in the left upper corner there are 2 dials..the upper is the Master Control and the lower is the Thermostat. It is the upper dial that broke the stem connecting the dial into the unit. I can get you pictures, but I don't think it will help . Please inform, and if you want pictures let me know specifically what you need. Thanks, David
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
II'm sorry Eddie, but being disabled and on Social Security, I need to stop this transaction now and just allow the $5 that was charged to my Debit Card to remain, as you did get back in touch. I don't get my SS Check until next Wednesday, and I have less than $200 for food, gas, and emergencies until then. I"ll take the unit to the different dealers here in town next week, in the meantime the room where I need this is where my pups will be born and it is terribly warm...too warm for puppies just born. So, not sure what to do, other than use of fans. Thank you for being up front with me, I expected you would have pictures and text that deals with my A/C, as what I have is what came with the machine, and doesn't offer much help. Thank you for your time, Respectfully, David
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
As above