Sean, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Owner HVAC company
64612473

RUUD Model UAHF-036JAS - not as cold as used to be, but

Customer Question

RUUD Model UAHF-036JAS - not as cold as used to be, but cool; outside unit runs constantly after operating properly for hours; inside unit freezing-up. Cut off and let thaw, and it runs normally for a while. Is this low pressure/low freon ? Unit is mfg. 6/92.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Sean replied 5 months ago.
Good evening, I'm one of the experts here on just answers. Want to pass this bit of info on before we start working on your question about your ac.Please remember to rate me using stars at top of page so I can be paid for helping you. This can be done at any time.Alright to get back to your ac problem.When you say ice up is this the as actual coil in your basement or outside ?
Expert:  Sean replied 5 months ago.
Let's start though first making sure that filter is squeaky clean or new!2nd that blower is still moving air out of vents strongly.I'll hang tight for an answer
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Icing is in the coil inside the ductwork in the basement, above the blower (upright heating unit). Filter is good and blower (air flow) is good.
Expert:  Sean replied 5 months ago.
Outside unit clean. No heavy buildup or pollen on the unit. You can clean this easily by hosing it down with a water hose.If this doesn't fix it then it sure does sound low on refrigerant unfortunately..... I told you everything I do before I even hook my guages up to check charge.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yep, sprayed-out the coils outside with water hose. If pressure is low, does this indicate the need for more R22 ? Can R22 still be purchased ?
Expert:  Sean replied 5 months ago.
If pressure is low that indicates that there is a leak in the system somewhere could be extremely small or large.I would say since you freezing up usually.i see that's a average of a small leak.Yes you can still purchase r22 from a licenced HVAC company.Beware though it has really went up in price.