Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.

Boiler light is on lockout and if you press red botton the

Customer Question

Boiler light is on lockout and if you press red botton the green light goes out and then flashes twice. I let go the botton and it seams to want to start but doesn't fire.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: A few days. After an electric storm. Don't know if that matters.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I already changed out the becket ignighter
JA: Sorry about that. I must have missed it. Could you tell me again?
Customer: Yes, to your question
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The hot water heater runs off of the boiler. But the valve for that line is opening.
JA: What's the make and model of your machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: 12 to 15 years old. And i don't know where it says manafacture
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of you situation.

So you have a Beckett burner that will start but not fire up. Did you check the electrode gap? are you getting oil out of the nozzle?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry I have to take my daughter somewhere. I will have to get back to you later.
Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

Ok, I'm online until 7pm EDT (more or less). I have electrode gap specs if you need them. I'll post other troubleshooting steps in the mean time.

Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

You should only attempt this if you are comfortable working on this type of equipment.

First turn off the valve on the oil line, then flip the transformer back on it's hinge and remove the nozzle assembly, once you have the assembly out reconnect it to the oil line then aim the nozzle into a can or a bucket, open the valve and hit the reset button, stay clear of the electrodes on the transformer.

Watch the spray pattern. It should be a nice symmetrical cone.

If you have no spray then check the filter at the tank, if it's clean you could have a blockage between the tank and the filter so crack the tank valve with the filter open to see if you have any flow.

If the spray pattern isn't symmetrical then replace the nozzle with exactly the same spec nozzle. If you have no flow at all replace the nozzle. Another possibility for no flow is a clogged screen in the fuel pump. There are 4 small screws on the side of the pump that you back out (turn the valve off first of course) to remove the housing. You can wash it out with gasoline but you will need a new gasket to put it back together

Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

Electrodes should be 1/8" apart, 1/16" ahead of the face of the nozzle and 7/16" above the center of the nozzle.