HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

I have a Manitowoc iy1474c-161 with an icvd remote

Customer Question

I have a Manitowoc iy1474c-161 with an icvd remote condenser. This unit has been showing long harvest cycles in the log for a while now. When we arrive to look at it the problem doesn't show. Thursday however when I arrived it threw a remote condenser fault and two txv faults. I ordered a txv and arrived today. The remote condenser fault occurred while I was here and there have been no further txv errors in the log. When the remote condenser error appeared today I noticed that my head pressure dropped from 275 to 150 and the suction went from 50 to about 80 (I'm referring to pressure). Could the txv cause this fault? It almost seemed as though it went into a partial harvest
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 6 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly I am not paid anything until you rate my service good using the STAR RATING LINK at the top of your page, the money is paid to the site not me directly.

Answer:

It more sounds like the main controller may be messing up and causing it to trip into and then out of harvest. A bad capacitor on the main control can make that happen. The TXV valves are either good or bad and would not cause those issues. I would be looking at more of a controller issue and further make sure your condenser is nice and clean as well.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me!.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How can I verify if it's the control board( I assume that's what you mean by controller)? Capacitor on the condenser for the condenser fan and compressor test good and the unit is running while it's in the remote condenser fault (e16).It seems to be hit or miss when it does this. It will do it once per day but it seems random and I cannot find a direct correlation to any common demoninator as to why.Today when it did this I turned it off and back on and it began running properly. I stayed with it until it filled the bin and shut off. I watched it come back on properly and then left it.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Further, I have crawled the net looking for more info on the e16 error and all I can get is non helpful generic info, at least to me. The error description says that it shows when the liquid line temp rises above 140degrees or below 40 degrees for a consecutive minute or longer. But that fairly broad and there's nothing saying why the board is determining the problem is in the remote condenser I.e. there must be some reason that error indicates a condenser problem, but what? Bad headmaster or some other part

Is the condenser nice and clean? If so I would look for maybe a bad head master valve

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The condenser is clean. I've also cleaned the evaps. The system is about 5 months old and has been plagued with errors since installation. System is installed properly however. The machine was kicking out on long harvest 3 consecutive times and the store clerk had been resetting it once per day. This was also a random thing as to when it would happen. I installed a bin stat because I was out of ideas and each time I arrived the machine would harvest consistently within 1:10. After placing the bin stat on, 2 days later im getting the remote condenser fault. So I thought maybe I'm getting somewhere and this has caused more symptoms to manifest. Since then I've had one long freeze, one long harvest, 12 remote condenser faults. But I feel the remote condenser fault is where it's at... if it does what it did today then it's going to run for 60 minutes trying to freeze(thus the long freeze) then it'll go into a harvest but it'll be a long harvest because there is no ice on the evaps.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't have much experience on the remotes. I had considered the headmaster when it was having long harvest faults. But I can never actually witness it failing and what I've read on it seems to only discuss the freeze cycle. And I wasn't getting any long freeze faults

Honestly I would call this number when on site for the issue you are having (###) ###-####you really need to be on site to check a few things out and it would be easiest to do that.