airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

My carrier air handler is leaking water out of the back down

Customer Question

My carrier air handler is leaking water out of the back down to the floor in garage...why would it be going out back and the ss1 drain cutoff not work?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 5 months ago.

Is the drain draining good outside? It is possible if drain is blocked up that water is running over side of pan in back part of air handler.The SS1 is a good safety measure but do nt always work.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it is draining well outside.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The ss1 never tripped

How old is air handler and what is model? In past Carrier used metal pans that would rust and leak?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There is a large amount of water coming down behind the air handler through the floor
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It was just put in new Feb of last year model number fbcnfb048

Should have a plastic pan.Look from bottom side of air handler and make sure coil is clean.A dirty coil will create a turbulance blowing water out of pan

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What color is the plastic pan and where is it located
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Should the coils be that dirty in a year

They can be if filter not replaced every month or air handler drawing air in that is not filtered.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How would you know if air handler is drawing in unfiltered air

Coil will be dirty. Often if connected by a duct that is not properly sealed or not sealed at platform if in a closet.Can you look at coil and see if it is clean?It should be perfectly clean so water can run down fins and into pan

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What will the coils look like if they are dirty and how would you clean them...also would the air handler leak if outside unit is low on gas

If unit is low on refrigerant the coil will ice.And yes that could be the issue.See if the coil looks frozen or partially frozen

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am checkingredients the things you said stand by

Take your time. Also look for any signs of ice at copper tubing and outdoor unit

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The only signs of water were in a black tray in front of the coils.. in front of the air handler. It did not come out. The coils look clean
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It appears that the black tray is over filling for some reason and going out the back onto the floor

Do you have a connection in pipe where you can blow drain out and take a flashlight and see if maybe there is some gunk in the pan?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will look outside...I have no way of undoing the one upstairs next to the unit

May be some gunk in the 3/4 " fitting on front of coil.May be necessary to cut the pvc , clean it out then install a coupling to reconnect

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok...there was some gunk in line from outside of house and water coming through...but could need clean out.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Do we need to turn of from upstairs unit and clean entire line

I am suspecting although you have some water coming out that we have a partial blockage

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Only water pan inside airhandler

If you can remove the float from the SS1, you might be able to take a shop vac and suck on tee or use an air compressor and blow into tee. Ohterwise I would say cut pvc and blow out then reconnect with a coupling

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok...is that the black knob on the side of the ss1 valve
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Does it pop out
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I do not want to mess it up...I should here from the ac company this afternoon or the morning
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I could shop vac the water out of the black tray as well too...right

That is correct. The top section of the SS1 will pull out of the tee

See below

Have to leave for a bit, but will check in when I get back to see what you found

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok...thanks. I will do it when my husbands gets in from work

Look forward to hearing back.Thanks for letting me work with you.When we are finished, if my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings . If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.