Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.

Rudd rcga - 48a1gg24 the Ac/heater system seems to have

Customer Question

Rudd rcga - 48a1gg24 the Ac/heater system seems to have started leaking when the Ac is on - filter changed - drain clear - what else can we do?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

There are basically 2 possibilities: either the drain is clogged or the condensate pan under the coil has a leak. If you didn't cut the condensate drain line and suck the pan connection and the drain line out with a wet vac then you haven't eliminated that possibility A leaky drain pan is possible but very rare. Let me know if you need to know where to cut the drain line

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We checked the drain pipe and the pan - both competent but we did find thin copper piping was resting outside the drain pan and traced the rust patterns to them - reworked them into the unit - hopefully that will be it - have you heard of this before?
Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

This copper piping sounds like a refrigeration line but it's usually the larger line where condensation develops which is why it's usually insulated. Since the 2 are run together the rust may be from condensation.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The refrigeration line is as you said insulated and it does occasionally have condensation. I am more concerned with the rust patterns developing that are not related to the unit itself - we also tested the drain and drain pan with water and no leaks. There were however, rust lines from those refrigeration lines ( fine pipes outside the coils ) as they were somehow placed outside the pan- hopefully this will be it
Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

You could see a small amount of water from condensation on the lines (which carry refrigerant not water). Large amounts of water would be from a clogged condensate drain. The only source of water is condensation either from the AC coil or the lines and possibly furnace combustion if you have a condensing gas furnace (plastic vent pipe). Furnace condensation would not show up in or around the AC coil