Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

My son has a Goodman 2,5 ton heat pump, it stopped working,

Customer Question

my son has a Goodman 2,5 ton heat pump, it stopped working, then after a few hours it worked again briefly.
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: Yes, when I connected the gaugages the needle on the low side pointed to Retarded, I manually depressed the contactor switch and the compressor ran, I thought the unit might be low on R22, a tech came out and his gauge showed 50 PSI on the low side he added 2 1/2 lbs of R22, (low side pressure up to around 70 or 75 I did not see the actual reading) to the unit and it was running fine, the unit was cooling down the house. My son left the house and came back about three hours later and the unit had shut down again, I am going to go back to his house and connect the gauges to see what the low side pressure is, I find it hard to believe it would ha lost a lot of R22 in that short of a time.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: As far as connecting the gauges to check it , yes. If it needs a new circuit board, capacitor or contactor switch, Yes. If it involves working on the evaporator coil or anything involving repairs to the high and low pressure circuit, no
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Any input as to what I should be looking for would be helpful, Thanks
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 3 months ago.

When you had your gauges on and it should a vacuum....was the unit running?

showed a vacuum I meant