Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a heat pump with propane emergency backup. My old

Customer Question

I have a Bryant heat pump with propane emergency backup. My old thermostat has an orange and an E wire. what do I connect these wires to on a Honeywell RTH9580 thermostat?
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: i did not install the new thermostat yet as I am checking for compatablility first
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes I contacted 3 different HVAC contractors in this beach region and everyone is so busy that they never returned the calls. I installed a whole house Aprilaire dehumidifier on the system yesterday and working on the thermostats today
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not really the Honeywell requires a C wire and we have a C,W2, R, G,O,Y,and E wires.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Brian HVAC Guy replied 11 months ago.

Hi I'm Brian and I'm here to help!

On your old thermostat control, is the only time the propane furnace ran when you physically changed the thermostat setting to Emergency Heat? Did the thermostat ever bring on the propane furnace automatically?