Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.

Have a Rheem Power vent water water heater (just moved in

Customer Question

Have a Rheem Power vent water water heater (just moved in not fimilar with it). When turn on blower, the blower turns on, gas heater turns on for at most 30 seconds and then turns off. No hot water, am I doing anything wrong?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

You're not doing anything wrong. It sounds like the heater has a problem. Based on your description the most likely issue is a flame sensing issue. If you'd like to try to fix this yourself and you feel confident working on a gas appliance then I need the model number of your unit to assist you further. It would also help to know what you have for a gas control valve (where you usually adjust the water temp). Does it have 2 arrows or a dial to adjust the temp?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Model # ***** VP50FW. It has a intelli- vent controller
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It has a cooler arrow button and hotter arrow button and indicator lights warm to very hot
Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

I need to know which LED's (specifically ) are lit. Left to right which ones are lit

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
1st green(warm/vacation) 2 and3 off/4 (A) on 5 B on 6th(C) off
Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

Ok, that's a generic ignition failure error. The most likely culprit based on your description is a dirty/bad flame sensor(see attached pic for typical). It's positioned in the burner flame and it's position relative to the burner is critical. You can clean off the metal rod with fine aluminum oxide sandpaper. Also vacuum out any debris or rust flakes inside the chamber since they can ground out the sensor also causing this failure.