Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

The outdoor compressor and fan are working, however, indoor

Customer Question

The outdoor compressor and fan are working, however, indoor blower not working. "Fan" is flashing on the control panel LUX PSPA722. Tried clearing out the drains with bleach and shop vac, still no luck.
JA: What's the make and model of your machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: AVPTC air handler. LUX PSPA722 theromostat. 5 years old.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 3 months ago.

Hello, tell me if THIS looks like the air handler you have or not,

Tell me please if there is ice on the largest copper tube attached to the cooling coil in the air handler or not

We can go from there.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi, yes that is our air handler, and no there is no ice on the copper tube coming from the coils.Scott
Expert:  Phil replied 3 months ago.

Do you have a multi meter and some skills using it so that you can check the voltage where the thermostat wires connect inside the unit?

Can you remove the blower door of the air handler, and take a close up well lit and exceedingly well focused picture of it and attach it here using the paper clip icon at the right end of the tool bar, or the attach files link to the left of your send button?

If you can I will mark it up with trouble shooting directions,

We can go from there

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi, take a look at the two pic attached and let me know if they will work, I do have a multi meter, not a lot of experience but I am good at following directions, let me know your thoughts.
Expert:  Phil replied 3 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** use those, but a wiring diagram is a sheet of paper about 8 x 11 inches glued to the inside of the blower service door, that photo needs to be taken close up but includes the whole diagram in the shot, and very well focused.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This is out of the manual, but is the same as the one on the unit, is this what you need?
Expert:  Phil replied 3 months ago.

thanks, ***** ***** a bad blower motor, that is called an ECM motor, electronically commutated very complex, probably the X13 type, takes a lot of skill do diagnose,

However you can locate where the thermostat wires attach to the terminals on the printed circuit board that you sent a picture of... R, Y, Y2, W1, W2, and G, and jumper R to G and tell me if the blower starts or not,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I jumpered red to green and nothing happened.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok, we had to run out for a few, will let you know upon our return.
Expert:  Phil replied 3 months ago.

Hello again, if I miss you tonight I will pick your response up first thing in the morning

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks Phil, we were pulled away last night, I will get back to you asap today, thanks again.
Expert:  Phil replied 3 months ago.

That will work,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Phil, I took all those readings and it looked as though they were all as you described, assuming I was doing it correctly.
Expert:  Phil replied 3 months ago.

Hello again, I did not describe the voltage read that you would get between TH and the terminals 1,2,3 4... only one of those should read 24v...I need to know which one exactly.

If the fuse was good, and you had a 24v read between TH and any one of, 1,2,3,4

and you had 120v across 4 and 5 at the motor... all this with the fan switch set to ON, OR the thermostat set to cooling and down to 60F, then the blower motor needs to be replaced.

If that is how it actually is, locate the 'finish and rate' link and click on it, then rate my service. In exchange I will hold the question open for one hour of follow up coaching etc as needed. Thanks

Expert:  Phil replied 3 months ago.

Note: since I am not on site with instruments, the odds of that assessment being correct are in the 90%+ range, I would have to be there to get it to 100%...

you can also replace both the printed circuit card that fuse circled in red is on, and the motor and be more or less 100% sure that will solve the problem.