Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

I am having issue with up stair unit. I can feel air coming

Customer Question

I am having issue with up stair unit. I can feel air coming out of vents and I can feel small bit of air being sucked into the air return but the outside unit is not coming on and the temp is starting to rise .
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: yes , we have the temp settings set at 77 at all times and I notice that the temp is now reading 83. the filters have been changed a few months ago
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes if it is possible
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I checked the unit in the attic and there is about an inch of water in the pan
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok , I have figured out that we may have a bad fuse for the outside unit , is it ok to run the unit up stairs or should I shut it off until we figure out the fuse ?
Expert:  Phil replied 3 months ago.

Hello. So far it sounds like a technical problem with either the thermostat controls or with the outside unit.

Tell me a lot about your technical skills background so that I can coach you most effectively.

We can go from there

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok, I checked our breakers and it seem that the breaker for that outside unit keeps tripping when AC is turned on . The unit up stairs blows air and you can hear it running but the outside does not come on because of the breaker tripping .
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
not sure where to go from here ! . should I turn off the AC upstairs until the unit outside is fixed or should I shut it all off ?
Expert:  Phil replied 3 months ago.

Hello again, stand next to the outside unit with the thermostat set for cooling and have someone else turn the breaker on, if it trips instantly there is likely a burned out compressor or fan motor.

If it hummms heavily then trips the breaker after 2 to 5 seconds or longer and the fan runs, then it is most likely just a bad compressor *run capacitor ($60 or so)

let me know, we can go from there