Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

Pear, I need help with my AC unit, I have a York Diamond 90

Customer Question

Hello
JA: Hi. How can we be of help?
Customer: Hi Pear,
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: I need help with my AC unit
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?
Customer: I have a York Diamond 90 furnace and the AC is auto shutting fown Down
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It's leaking water all over the floor
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: Ok
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

It sounds like your condensate drain is clogged. If you have a wet vac and a saw to can probably fix it. Let me know.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have both of those but I'm not sure which pipe is the condensate line
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

It's typically 3/4" plastic and is connected at the bottom of the AC coil. Your refrigeration lines are copper. It would be best if you can post a picture or 2 here so I can point it out to you if you aren't still aren't sure. You can post pics here by clicking on ADD FILES next to the SEND button.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There is tons of condensation running off the sides of the furnace. I have attached a picture of the furnace and then the pvc pipe on the side.
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

Well, that's a start. It's difficult for me to see which condensate line goes to the AC coil but both of the white PVC lines are condensate lines. Looks like you might have a down flow furnace. Can you back out and give me a wider shot showing where both lines connect to the unit? also a pic of the front of the unit so I can see if the coil is on the top or bottom.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Here is the front with the plates on and off
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can't get any further away cause the unit is in a very small room in my basement
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

Ok, the top pipe is the AC condensate. Probably easiest to cut the pipe just beyond that first elbow out of the unit in the front. Leave at least 1" of pipe between the cut and the elbow so you can get a coupling back on there to put it back together when your done. Once you cut the pipe put your wet vac on the open pipe end of each side of the cut to suck out the water and slime that's built up over the years and is clogging the pipe

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok I did that and it didn't work. The line actually looked pretty clear
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

It's not the line that's likely to be clogged it's where the line connects to the condensate pan. So if you're sure you sucked out the pan side then the other possibility is a leaky pan. Replacing the pan is not a DIY project

Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

Also it may take a few minutes for the water that's overflowed to stop dripping

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can you tell me how to get to the pan so I can try to clear it instead of replacing it?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The unit turns on and starts and then the fan continues but the AC gets killed about 2 seconds in
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

You clear it by vacuuming the line on the coil side. Is you're condensate pump working?

Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

Looks like you have the condensate pump overflow kill switch wired up.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok can you tell me how to turn that off now that I've cleared the line
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

Should be 2 thermostat type wires at the condensate pump. Try connecting them together.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the pump is workkng
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

If you connect the 2 thermostat wires at the pump together you'll bypass the switch

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Now the AC unit isn't turning on at all just the fan
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

It's possible the control board may have gotten wet. So beyond leaving the panels off and letting it dry out there isn't much more you can do.

Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

It's also possible the AC not working has nothing to do with the condensate back up. Usually all it takes is to vac out the pan and the lines when the only problem is the back up.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I didn't vacuum the pan. Can you tell me how to get to that?
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

That's not what I meant and you can't easily get to the pan. Just putting the vac on the line into the pan it usually all it takes. Since the hose on your vac is a lot bigger than the pipe using your hand around the pipe to make a tighter seal can help. But this usually pretty straight forward NBD unless something else is wrong.

Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

Do you have any more questions?