Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Our new geothermal system emits a throbbing or pulsating

Customer Question

Our new geothermal system emits a throbbing or pulsating drone from the Copeland compressor. Also there is a surging in the high pressure refrigerant line at the "split" end of the two part system. Please suggest possible causes and remedies, other than sound proofing and loosening all refrigerant line clamps, as these two have been tried for reducing the drone, to no avail.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I need the full model number of the unit so that I can check to see if it is an unloading or two speed model of the copeland compressor.

Meantime set the thermostat on cooling and down to 60F as a brief test only and tell me if the droning stops or changes.

We can go from there.

Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

Hello again, how is it going with the heat pump? Have you done the load test I mentioned?

Let me know, we can go from there.