D.E. Anderson
D.E. Anderson, Industrial Refrigeration Service Manager
Experience:  15 years experience. Design, install, service of residential & commercial hvac/r equip.
76443755

I have a Goodman Furnace Model # SPB10300701A. It has worked

Customer Question

I have a Goodman Furnace Model # *****
It has worked well for 12 years but now the AC has problems. It seems to be working well than it starts making a loud grinding noise and the cooling in the top of the unit stoops spinning but the noise continues. We still get air flow in the house but it is not cooled.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  D.E. Anderson replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I am gonna try to help you out with this. Are you referring to the fan motor on the top of the condenser quits running? Could you elaborate a little more? Thank you

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The fan motor on top of the unit quits running. We still get air flow in the house but it is not cooled.

You need to take the service panel off the outdoor unit and look at the capacitor to see if it is swollen, you can also take a stick or rod and see if when you push the motor off it starts running. If it does, then the capacitor is bad. Most of the time though, if the capacitor is bad, then your motor has suffered some damage. Does it sound like you can hear the compressor running when it starts up? I would assume if you hear a noise from the condenser after the fan motor has quit turning, then that is the compressor running. I highly recommend replacing the condenser fan motor and capacitor together. If you have any further questions please let me know. Thank you.

Hi, have you made any progress with your situation? Do you need further assistance? Thanks