Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

I am having trouble with my ac. Zone 1 does not always come

Customer Question

I am having trouble with my ac. Zone 1 does not always come on, but when I tape the honeywell power control box I can get it to work. But zone two will not work at all.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: On and off for about two weeks.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Possible.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The system is about 10 years old and is a duel zone five ton heating and air system.
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: Yes, If I pull the batterys out of the thermostat the display fades away.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Gaztech replied 3 months ago.

It is most likely a week wire connection or a defective electronic board with a bad weld, inspect carefully all wiring connections..

Expert:  D.E. Anderson replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I would be more than happy to help you diagnose the issue if you have a voltmeter and feel comfortable checking 24v. I agree with the previous tech that it is most likely a poor wiring connection or a defective board. However, through careful use of a voltmeter we can eliminate other possible causes and verify the board is the issue. Thanks.