D.E. Anderson
D.E. Anderson, Industrial Refrigeration Service Manager
Experience:  15 years experience. Design, install, service of residential & commercial hvac/r equip.
76443755

Carrier Air Conditioner is only blowing room temperature

Customer Question

Carrier Air Conditioner is only blowing room temperature air.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  D.E. Anderson replied 5 months ago.

Hi, can you get me the model numbers of your equipment? Then I can better proceed to help you diagnose it. You never add charge without first checking the operating pressures with a gauge set. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
24ABB3
The full model number would be helpful. Also, do you have a voltmeter and do you feel comfortable using it?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
24ABB3/24ABC6 Yes I have a voltmeter but both the AC unit and the heater/blower are working so both are getting power and operating, just blowing warm air. It was working perfectly one day and then stopped the next, no slow degradation in air temperature, cool air to room termperature air in one day.

No freezing up? Does your meter have a current clamp on it?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no freezing up and no, my voltmeter does not have current clamp.

Go to your outdoor unit and remove the service panel, verify there is 240vac on both sides of the contactor. Also, look for signs of swelling or anything like that at the capacitor. Let me know if it sounds like the compressor isactually running and not just the fan motor.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
240V confirmed in and out but going into the capacitor when I check the red and yellow wire I am getting much more than 240V, 320 plus. There is also an intermittent buzzing sound ever minute or so but only for a second or two at a time before it stops. Maybe the compressor trying to kick in, not sure.

The high voltage is typical at the capacitor. The buzzing is the compressor trying to start it quits because the thermal limit is opening the circuit. Either your compressor is stuck or your capacitor is bad. I would try a new capacitor first, if that does not solve it I would put a hard start kit such as a Supco SPP6 on it. If it remains stuck the compressor would need to be replaced. It would be important to also not, that you should trace all the wires running to the compressor and verify they are not broken between the compressor terminal block and the control box. And ofcourse, during the wiring check or any component replacement you'll want high voltage to be disconnected.

If your meter has a capacitance setting, you can check the capacitor and see if your readings match what is on the capacitor label.

Try those things and let me know how it works out. Feel free to ask anything else if you need to. Thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Any idea where to buy this part on-line so I can get it by Friday?

Amazon will be a good source. For the hard start kit put SPP6 in the search. For the run capacitor just input the information for the size that's on the label of the capacitor into the search bar. Several options will come up. As long as they are the same capacitance, brand doesn't matter.

It may be advertised as like a 35x5 or 35 plus 5 or 35mfd x 5mfd that ofcourse would be assuming is 35 microfarad plus 5 microfarad

Hi, I was curious if you had any luck sourcing some parts. Let me know. Thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it was the capacitor, thank you for your help in resolving this, very much appreciated.
Great. Please remember to rate me or I will not be compensated thank-you.

Hi, do you need further assistance with this? Thankyou.