Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

Code #73 came up said shorted contactor. I replaced both and

Customer Question

hi code #73 came up said shorted contactor. I replaced both and still is locked
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: today
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

Hello, most of the printed circuit cards spitting out error codes are made in china and programmed to fit US equipment mfgrs requirements... there is limitless room for error or bogus error codes.

Tell me the brand name and model number of the furnace or air handler please, we can go from there.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
carrier mod# ***** outdoor unit
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** photo's for me please, a close up of the unit wiring diagram, well lit and exceedingly well focused... and a shot from about 4 feet away that shows the entire controls box with the contactor and capacitors etc.

Use the paper clip icon at the right end of the tool bar, or the 'attach files' link to the left of your send button please.

I will mark those up with trouble shooting instructions, you will need a $30 type class ll multi meter.