Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I have been an HVAC/R mechanic/technician for 30+ years.

Trane 4TEE3F31A1000AA blower motor not working. Motor tested

Customer Question

Trane 4TEE3F31A1000AA blower motor not working. Motor tested and works. ECM was replaced with Genteq MOD02183. Worked fine for a while now does not work.
Have 2 units, other is a 4TEEF37A1000AA with a Genteq MOD02216. Then non working blower will run hooked too the MOD02216 so fan is good.
Help! Is the 02183 the right controller? Ideas why it would work for a little then stop?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Brian HVAC Guy replied 3 months ago.

Hi Phillip, I'm Brian and I'm here to help! I would venture an educated guess that the controller may have been affected by the same thing that took out the motor control but it just took a little longer to show itself. Please allow me a few moments to do some research on your controller. at first glance the Trane CNT02183 would not be the right control as it is for a furnace not an air handler. Thanks for your patience!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Trane HVAC Heat Pump 14XL 2.5Ton

Thanks for that model number. I'm closing in on the right board for your air handler. On the board itself, there should be a CNTxxxxx number and that will help confirm that we get the right one. I'm pretty sure it's a CNT03600 but I'm checking now to confirm that. Also, you should check the wires or ribbon cable that connect the board to the motor controller, if they are abraded in any way, that could cause the same symptom.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
CNT03600 is correct. Wires in good shape. (more background: this unit ecm was new 2003, replaced 2005, and now)
other unit (37) was new 2003 , replaced at least in 2012 and again in 2014 or 2015

Ok Phillip, the board you need is indeed a Tran P/N CNT03600. Click Here for that board at a reputable online supplier.

Wow! That's an awful lot of motors in such a short period! I would suspect there is an issue with the incoming power quality. I would have an electrician with a really good power line diagnostic meter have a look at the power system in your home and especially for that air handler circuit.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If it is the CNT3600 board, why would the "new" ECM not work with unit#2's ECM board?

Oh, and sorry I read that wrong about the motor controller. I missed that you were referring to the motor module, I thought you were talking about the fan control board. It's certainly also possible that the MOD02183 motor module failed that quick. Unless you have the diagnostic and test tool for ecm motors, your best bet for diagnosing is just what you've been doing by swapping the parts with known working ones from the other ahu. There's no real secret with these, they either work or they don't. Multiple failures like you're experiencing are usually traced back to dirty incoming power with some kind of nasty harmonic on the line.

If you're just replacing the module and not the motor, the motor(s) should also be tested. A high pot test with the module disconnected may show something with the motor(s) themselves. A motor with an internal winding issue could exacerbate or even cause the problem too.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I did check the resistance across the 3 leads on the motor. they were all very close to the same reading

As they should be. However, if there was leaking current in the motor, that would cause overheating in the module. A megger or high pot test is a good idea. Any reputable motor shop can do this for you.

The bot***** *****ne is there is definitely something causing all these module failures! They don't have a failure rate that high without some kind of issue external to the module. It boils down to one side of the module or the other. On the supply side you need clean power with low line harmonics and on the load side (motor) you need a solid motor with a high potential to ground.

Investing in a quality surge suppressor for your home may be a wise investment too!