Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

The blower fan/motor is inoperable just glanced at it and

Customer Question

The blower fan/motor is inoperable just glanced at it and noted that it is a White-Rogers 50A-242 can you provide me with any information about the probable causes and solutions to the issue. The issue is that the blower motor does not operate?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Two days.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I have B/P scheduled to come out on this Wednesday. But, I'm sure that although they have the plan to repair or replace the unit that this is something they'll have to order.
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?
Customer: Filter are changes monthly and I haven't checked the thermostat.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I'm sure you provide your service at some rate so, I would need to know what we would be looking at cost wise to you?
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: OK I guess I need to know your background and your experience with these issues?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

Hello, tell me about how old the blower fan motor is please... and if the blower wheel spins freely when you push it, or it is frozen or drags.

We can go from there

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm in the process of gathering further information to provide you.
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

A few photo's would be good, use the paper clip icon at the right end of the tool bar or the attach files link to the left of your send buttton

take the photo's from 5 or 6 feet away so that I put what I see into context,

We can go from there

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Before we talk live I wanted to provide you the following information first: This was a new Coleman unit sized for this home btwn - 1800 - 2000 Square feet. The flower motor turns freely, so it's not locked up. It was a new install in 10/2004. Again the motor on the exterior of the board where all wires are connected is printed White - Rogers 5A5T -242. Also printed on this module is the following: YORK 13881. On the sticker is the serial number SWHKM022602. No further information at this time.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Obviously, I don't want to spend any more money than need be to attempt to diagnose the problem. And, is this something we can follow-up in the AM?
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

Hello again, white rodgers only makes the boards NOT the blower motors those are from a different company entirely.

There are not time limits with me, just post back.

You will need a multi meter and some technical skills to diagnose the situation, and I will need a photo of the wiring diagram glued inside of the blower compartment door.

Photo must be taken up close, in very good light, and exceedingly well focused. YOu can attach it here using the paper clip icon at the right end of your tool bar or the attach files link to the left of your send button.