Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

I changed the batteries yesterday in my thermostat. Now I am

Customer Question

I changed the batteries yesterday in my thermostat. Now I am noticing that I can lower or raise the temperature on it but it isn't going down on the degree part....cold air is blowing out of the vents. I have taken batteries out and reset the thermostat but it will start back off at 72 and it will be set on 70 and the temp increases by two in minutes walk away and it says it's 78 and it's not 78 in the house?
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Phil replied 3 months ago.

Hello, the thermostat sensing thermistors have likely gone bad, a new thermostat is in order... these are not repairable.

Tell me the brand and model number of the thermostat and which color wires are attached to each terminal on its sub base...I will locate a replacement for you.

However I am off to bed shortly, if I miss you to night I will pick up your response first thing in the morning,