Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My ac is running and the air is cool at the vents, but the

Customer Question

My ac is running and the air is cool at the vents, but the house isn't cooling at all so the unit doesn't stop running and freezes over. I bought a top of the line filter yesterday but it didn't help. Any suggestions? Thanks
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: Yes and yes
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I was hoping to because I have to bake 6 dozen cupcakes today. I can't get someone to come on a sunday.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I am an engineer so I am not completely without skills. Lol
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 5 months ago.

Hello, the cooling coil or blower wheel may be clogged with dirt, tell me about how old your system is, and if you have furry pets in the house or not.

disconnect power from the furnace and reach into the blower compartment, be sure the blower is not running, and see if you can scrape any dirt from the squirrel cage blower vanes.

We can go from there.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't know if it has ever been cleaned... I am renting the house. Yes - I have 3 dogs - one that sheds all the time.
I will go do that now. Thanks.
Expert:  Phil replied 5 months ago.

If there is accumulated dirt in the blower wheel that is the landlords responsibility to have cleaned, along with the much more difficult to clean cooling coil.

Let me know what you find, we can go from there.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Where is the cooling coil? The blower is pretty dirty but doesn't look clogged. I MacGyvered a cleaning device with pipe cleaners and swiffer dusters. I will clean it as well as I can.
Expert:  Phil replied 5 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** blower wheel is dirty, more than 1/16" build up of dirt, the cooling coil is clogged.

the cooling coil is mounted on the outlet end of the furnace.. if its on top the dirt is is INSIDE the A shaped coil... if the coil is under the furnace the dirt is on the outside of the A shapped coil.

Let me know what you find, send photos using the paper clip icon at the right end of your tool bar.