Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Power outage after the power outage the fan is running but

Customer Question

power outage after the power outage the fan is running but the compresser is not coming on
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: tonight
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: depend what it entails
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: not that i can think of right now. But what is the problem with the unit?
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?
Customer: thermostat is on 69 and reading 80
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: filters
have been pulled
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The ac was running fine and cooling before the power outage. And the power outage was relatively short in duration. not more than an hour max.
Expert:  Phil replied 10 months ago.

Hello, it is quite likely that an electrical spike generated by the power outage damaged your units printed circuit board and that it will need to be replaced.

There are also some other possibilities.

Tell me a lot about your technical skill sets and if you have a multimeter or not please so that I can coach you most effectively.

If none of that is in your skills range, tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest city and I will get you a short list of the best rated outfits in your area.

We can go from there.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
well i work as a missile technician so im mechanical and yes i have a ditigal fluke and analog simpson which some guys prefer.
Expert:  Phil replied 10 months ago.

thanks, ***** ***** case take a photo of the wiring diagram glued to the inside of the blower service door, and I will mark it up with trouble shooting instructions. include a photo of the printed circuit card that shows the thermostat wire connections.

(the analog meter does not give false ghost reads, not a bad meter to use here)

Use the paper clip icon at the right end of the tool bar, or the attach files link to the left of your send button to get the pictures to me. Diagram photo must be taken up close, in very good light, from straight on, and exceedingly well focused.

We can go from there.