Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.

My ac goes off when it reaches my desire setting of 78 and

Customer Question

my ac goes off when it reaches my desire setting of 78 and than turns off. It goes back on in less than 10 mins. is that normal
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Our Ac was having problem for a month now. they just fixed it. so 2 days
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: i live in an apartment
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Depending on how hot it is outdoors it coming back on in even less than 10 minutes could be perfectly normal.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
its 101 outside. I have blackout curtains in all window. The AC seem to go off and on very frequently. What other temp should i set it at to save money for an apartment. or what temp is should i have it on?
Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

It's normal for the AC to run continuously if outdoor temps are that extreme. You could try moving it up to 80. Running a fan in the room you're in will make the room temp seem cooler and it uses a lot less electricity.