Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Our Air conditioner just quit working, we have replaced the

Customer Question

Our Air conditioner just quit working, we have replaced the fuses but it is still not running
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: Where would the filters be?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Thermostats are ok, where are the filters located?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello, the filters are located in or near the blower compartment of the furnace or air handler... if not there, the filter is located behind a hinged return air grill, generally in a hall way ceiling... the fact that you do not know where the filter is means that it has not been changed and could very well be the problem.

Look at the outside unit if there is one, and the largest copper tube connected, tell me if it has ice on it or not,

We can go from there

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No there is no ice on the tubing. And when you are talking filters do you mean on the furnace?
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Yes, filters fit into a slot just ahead of the furnace return air duct, or inside the same compartment the furnace blower is in.

If not there, the filter is fit into a return air grill.

Tell me if the outside unit fan was running or not when you checked for ice on the tubing please

we can go from there

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We change the furnace filter often. I don't know about if the fan was running or not as we just noticed it was getting warm in the house
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

There is tiny float switch that fits into the 1" diameter white plastic condensate drain from the cooling coil... the cooling coil box is about 20" cubed, and is mounted on the outlet end of the furnace... the switch will have 2 wires attached, look for that and remove the float and clean it...if its there...not all contractors install such a switch

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is not one there
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

If the float rises, it will open the switch and kill power to the AC.

Tell me if the main furnace blower runs when you set the thermostat on cooling and down to 60F, or not, and if the outside unit fan runs at the same time or not.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Furnace blower is running the air conditioner fan is not
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** is with the outside unit most likely, there are 2 or 3 tiny 18 gauge wires in a plastic sheath running to the outside unit, those originate from the furnace blower compartment printed circuit board... measure the voltage between those two or three terminals using a multi meter set on AC voltage.

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

How hot is it outside now, that will tell me if the high pressure safety switch tripped or not

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About 98
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

How old is the unit and have you been cleaning it s wrap around condenser coil?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure on the age, but we have yearly maintenance done on the unit
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

inspect the condenser coil of dirt burried deep between the fins, not all maintenance outfits do a proper job.

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

you should be able to see clear through the coil at a 45 degree angle

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I don't know what you are talking about when you say condenser coil or even know where to find it