Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Everything was working fine, but a family member switched on

Customer Question

Everything was working fine, but a family member switched on our mini boiler heat because he was cold. As he is a 56 year old adult, I thought it more important to save energy and stop his nonsense by shutting off the breakers. The Carrier Infinity thermostat feeds both air conditioning/heat pump, and the in floor heat. Now, I have NO display on the thermostat, and no ability to air condition the space. I desire to have the thermostat working again. There seem to be no batteries in the thermostat, and I've disconnected the thermostat from electical for over a minute to see if I can reset the thermostat. Nothing doing. Also, it may be important to share that we have "off peak" power, and today has been in the 90s, so I would guess that we're "paced".
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: Can't check the thermostat, no setting to read because there's no display. The filters are another issue, but everything was FINE before I turned off the breakers that fed the system.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If I can, I have comfort with doing such projects, a solid technical background.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I've given you what I know.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Anyone there?
Expert:  Phil replied 5 months ago.

Yes, I am here, we are just swamped with calls right now. Give me about 5 minutes to read your question and formulate a response. I will be right back.

Expert:  Phil replied 5 months ago.

the power is off to your thermostat, possibly a blown fuse in the 24volt control circuit, possibly caused when you disconnected some of that wiring and touched the frame of the unit with the bare end of the 24v wire... thats a guess of course, let me know the details of what you did to cut power to the thermostat.

We can go from there.