Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Unit sticks at 80 degrees. What can be done to make it start

Customer Question

Unit sticks at 80 degrees. What can be done to make it start cooling? Unit was installed June 2016 and it has happened twice. Installer slow to respond and we have two handicapped people in house that are uncomfortable. Temperature outside near 100 degrees. What can we do ourselves?
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?
Customer: Filter is new, changed every two weeks. Thermostat is set at 74 and it doesn't seem to help.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No. Not crazy
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: This is the second time it has stopped cooling when the outside temperature heats up. Right now we have shut the unit down as it just blows warm air.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of you situation.

Is the air coming out of the vents cool? Is the unit outdoors running? does the AC run continuously?