Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My ac unit stopped working fan runs, mo d h?mc-F0365A,

Customer Question

my ac unit stopped working fan runs
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?
Customer: mo
d h?mc-F0365A
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: checked all that fan runs not compressor I replaced capacitor few years ago I can do work myself except compressor I don't have tools for that for got how to test cap
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: best way to check comp
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 5 months ago.

Hello, sorry to be late but we are swamped right now.

To check capacitor take a photo of the wire connections on it, and also make a sketch, be *sure you have disconnected power to the unit... then use a 1-5 ohm resistor to short across all the terminals on the capacitor to discharge it... some just use a screw driver but that can be unsafe at times.

then you need a multi meter with Micro Farads on it, uf, set the meter on that and put your test probes across the center terminal and each of the outer terminals to read micro farads.

Tell me what read you get, we can go from there.

Expert:  Phil replied 5 months ago.

Ooops, I forgot to tell you to remove the wires from the capacitor when doing the microfarad check.