Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

I have model 38esg/38ezg. The unit sometimes does not start

Customer Question

I have model 38esg/38ezg. The unit sometimes does not start or does not rotate. It sometimes start when turned on when outdoor temp is low but not on a hot day, 75 & above. What could be the problem?
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?
Customer: Checked ok
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Techs came & checked & could not identify the problem. After two visits they think it is the "thermostat" on the unit & they are not sure about it either.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Nothing more only that it works ok when it starts
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 3 months ago.

Hello, It could be low voltage on the local power grid causing the problem, the cure is a 'hard start kit' that consists of booster start capacitor and potential relay that pulls it out of the circuit 2 seconds after the compressor starts. These are less than $100 and easy for any technician to install.

Any tech that has to guess about the thermostat being bad is incapable. Tell me a lot about your skill sets, or if none of that is in your bag of tricks, tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest town or city and I will see if I can find a well rated outfit for you.