Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I replaced blower motor in a older 5 ton rtu and the new

Customer Question

I replaced blower motor in a older 5 ton rtu and the new motor burnt up as soon as I turned on the power I checked elect leads to ground no short ? Could the problem be in the controll board with the fan relay switches?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 5 months ago.

Hello, if the motor burned up as soon as you turned on the power it is most likely that you got the wires crossed somewhere along the line.

Grounds or shorts in the will not burn up a motor, but will just blow a fuse or trip a breaker.

It is possible but very very unlikely in the case of a two speed motor only that both the high and low speeds were powered at the same time, that would burn out the motor.

Expert:  Phil replied 5 months ago.

My position here is that I work at my own considerable expense and am only paid if you rate my work positively.... in this situation its going to take some training and work with the motor and unit wiring diagrams and that exceeds what I can offer without loosing my shirt so to speak.

There are two options, you can rate my work so far positively by clicking on the 'finish and rate your expert' link, in that case I will hold the question open and work you though this for a few hours.

OR...I can opt out and see if any of our other experts here wish to get involved.

Let me know, we can go from there accordingly.