Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

I have installed a Honeywell WiFi thermostat (RTH8580WF)

Customer Question

Hello - I have installed a Honeywell WiFi thermostat (RTH8580WF) which resets (acts like it loses power briefly) right when the heat attempts to kick on but before the blower kicks on. Would you be available to review a wiring diagram of the electric heat furnace (Goodman), and confirm the thermostat is properly wired to the furnace? (The AC works fine).
We noticed on another forum/thread, you recommended a 50 VA transformer, we currently have installed a 40 VA transformer. Thanks in advance for you for any help you can provide.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to help answer your question(s). Please provide all the information I ask for since I'm not onsite. At the end of our dialog you will be asked to rate my service, but please wait until then and all your question(s) have been answered satisfactorily. If you are not satisfied, I'd appreciate it if you'd tell me why before leaving a negative rating and allow me to continue to work with you until we are able to both agree on an outcome to follow. Thanks for your business!

If the thermostat is losing power, this is going to be an issue with your air handler as that is what supplies power to the thermostat. It could be a bad furnace board, or a problem with incoming power to air handler.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The manual thermostat used to work fine. That is why we are questions if it is wired properly. Our air handler and furnace board have not been problems in the past. I would prefer to talk on the phone. If you are able to call; please call John at(###) ###-#### We can send you the wiring diagram or any photographs you request. Thanks.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 3 months ago.

The way it's wired should not cause it to lose power. Since it's a WiFi, did you hook up the common wire? I sent the phone call request for your approval.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I was uninformed of an additional surcharge of $24 to speak on the phone. I was not informed there would be additional charges past the $45 to discuss with an HVAC technician.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 3 months ago.

Phone calls are always extra. However, the chat is included.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I appreciate your timely responses, however, I was under the impression I could speak with a HVAC technician for the included $45 service charge. At this time I am not pleased with the upcharge requirement to speak. I would like to cancel the request for service. Can that be done without charging the $45 since I am not pleased with the service (phone call not included) provided by justanswer. (I do not want this to affect your rating, as you have been timely and professional to work with).
Expert:  Tim H. replied 3 months ago.

Yeah, sorry you got that impression. The chat with your expert is always included. However, since the professional needs to set aside a specific time and everything to call a customer, I'm sure you can understand why this is not included. Realize your professional only gets part of fees collected to begin with.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can we cancel this discussion right now and I am not charged the $45?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 3 months ago.

Yes, I can cancel. However, I will not get paid for any of my time.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My apologies for justanswer's sale pitch not being clear. I will leave no negative feedback if you care able to cancel the service and refund the $45. Thanks. Please confirm.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 3 months ago.

OK, will do. Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you. Sorry about the misunderstanding.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 3 months ago.

No problem. Have a great day!