Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

I have a trane xr13. I replaced the start capacitor, run

Customer Question

i have a trane xr13. I replaced the start capacitor, run capicitor, contactor, fan motor capicitor, and the potential start relay. System will not turn on the condensor. The condesation pan is clear. When i press the contactor down manually the system cools. System is set to "cool" but only the blower fan turns on
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: one day, i have had minor a/c issues with a different unit years ago. It was a capacitor that was bad. Replaced it and it ran for years
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?
Customer: filter is clean, thermostat seems to be set correctly
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: as much as i can, i installed the unit a few years ago and had a tech come and charge it.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: i have 240 volts at the contactor
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  WCohn replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is Wade. If you hold down the contact it works?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
works fine
Expert:  WCohn replied 4 months ago.

Do you mean everything works. I mean it actually starts cooling? Or does the fan just come on?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it cools
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the unit was working perfectly until yesterday
Expert:  WCohn replied 4 months ago.

Well if you replaced all those parts I am baffled

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
there is any other parts that i can see to replace
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
does this unit have any high or low pressure safety cutoffs?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
will it cause any damage if i hold the contactor down to cool the house for a few hours?
Expert:  WCohn replied 4 months ago.

You might have a bad motor in you compressor, but it wouldn't run with manual switching.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
are you there
Expert:  WCohn replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry I'll opt out

Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

Hello. if the unit runs when you push in the contactor manually, then the problem is entirely that the contactor is not getting 24v to its control coil, or the contactor coil is bad.

If there is no 24v to the coil, then the problem is in the 24v control circuit that runs from inside the furnace or air handler, out to the unit and once arrived at the unit, one of the wires runs through a high pressure cut out switch that could have tripped and needs to be reset.

If you have trouble finding any of that, take a close up photo of the wiring diagram glued inside the units electrical controls box, and attach it here using the paper clip icon at the right end of your tool bar, or the attach files link to the left of your send button, photo must be exceedingly well focused,

We can go from there.