BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics

My thermostat is reading error and I can not get it to come

Customer Question

my thermostat is reading error and I can not get it to come on
JA: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?
Customer: To tell you the truth I don't know. The thermostat would shut off read error at certain times of the day then it would cut back on, but now it's been reading error since yesterday
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: The basics
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 4 months ago.

My name is Billy. Where is the air handler inside located? Attic, basement? And do you know where the water drain from the unit goes?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
In the attic. I believe it drains in the garage

The reason I ask is the thermostat can lose power if the unit is in attic and has a water safety you have easy access to the attic to check something?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have access but that's a bit much for me. I just had my Mother call her a/c technician to come out. Thank you for your time

I understand.

With the symptoms you describe the drain has gotten plugged that drains the condensate shuts off thermostat to protect ceiling from water damage.

The drain must be cleared and operation will return. If you know where the end of the drain is can suck it out with a shop vacuum.

I wish you the best