HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

We have carrier air handler Model # 40RM-012--B500GC Serial

Customer Question

We have carrier air handler Model # ***** Serial # *****
Were having loud grinding squealing noise. We had to replace drive belt.
Is there any suggestions any of you may have.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am HVAC Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly I am not paid anything until you rate my service good using the STAR RATING LINK at the top of your page, the money is paid to the site not me directly.

Is the motor grinding?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No I have run the motor with out the belt and its smooth. When we hook up the belt to the fan is were I get the problem.
I have attached file which shows the label on air handler cover for your reference.

Then I would say the fan bearing is bad or dried up causing the noise, it can be really nothing else unless the fan blade is hitting the housing.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That what it sounds like metal hitting metal? But why can't get the sound to replicate when manual turn the pulley by hand.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How hard is it to find parts for this older unit

the belt puts side tension on the bearing and blower so it may be tweaking it a little to hit the housing. You should be able to get parts for it readily, you can try this place.

CLICK HERE

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me!.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!