Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have been getting an E 02 reading. I've had technicians

Customer Question

I have been getting an E 02 reading . I've had technicians here and it keeps turning off a day after they leave. I've discovered that if I put my hand slightly over "suction pipe" and slightly "burp" it. It ignites but only stays on a few hours. I really don't want to get a new boiler but I fear that my propane company will want to push for that so that they can sell me something rather than fix it. If love to get an opinion on this.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need. Please be patient as many times we work with several customers at once.

The E02 error code refers to ignition failed after 5 retries. have they replaced ignitor, cleaned burner?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
once
Expert:  Tim H. replied 5 months ago.

We usually start with the simple things if burner is failing to light every time. I would start by pulling the burner and checking/cleaning. Perhaps replace ignitor again. These are things that can affect the way it lights.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I know they cleaned it. I'm just wondering why it starts up only when I put my hand slightly cover exhaust pipe .
Expert:  Tim H. replied 5 months ago.

Maybe just a coincidence. It would cut down combustion air to it, so that's not good.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm not sure that's the name for it but it's the pipe on the inside of boiler that sucks in air. I let the igniter try first. Then next time I put my hand over it and it lights up
Expert:  Tim H. replied 5 months ago.

Yes, that's combustion air (intake).

Expert:  Tim H. replied 5 months ago.

Did you have additional questions?

Expert:  Tim H. replied 5 months ago.

On page 28 of this manual, it shows the E02 code and what to do if there either is a spark, or no spark. So that would be where you start. It lists all the things to check.