Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

I have rheem AC system. It is not functioning. My upstairs

Customer Question

I have rheem AC system. It is not functioning. My upstairs unit is working. I checked the breakers and even installed a new thermostat. But neither outside conpressor or air Hanley will go
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: The settings are good and filters are not that old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I was wondering if there is a reset button on the inside unit?
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It got cold in the house last night. I checked the thermostat and the screen was blank. I went up to the attic and shut it off for a few minutes and the turned it back on. I could get the fan to run if I took it off of auto but not cool. I installed a new thermostat but still nothing works
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

Hello, tell me a lot about your technical skills if any and if you have a multi meter or not so that I can coach you most effectively.

We can go from there.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am handy but do not have a multimeter. I did just change out my thermostat.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I know more about PC's than other devices. If that helps
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

You will need some training and coaching on a diagnosis, this will take a few hours. There are two potential problems, a defect in the system itself, then the new thermostat may not be the right type for your unit (heat pump or conventional or if it is may not be wired appropriately)

Let me know if you are up for that many hours training and coaching or not
if so it will be by the hour I will submit a premium service offer in that case.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks I don't have the time for that. The unit is only 2 years old. I have a service call scheduled for Thursday but was hoping if there was something simple I could check in case that made it work before then.
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

Good idea, the training can be quite an ordeal

If you locate the 'rate your expert' link and click on it I will appreciate it, that is how the company pays me, rating does not affect your charges. Thanks