Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I bought a house last fall that included a Chigo

Customer Question

Hi. I bought a house last fall that included a Chigo QCIC18A/QCOC18A air conditioner. I don't know if there is a problem with it, or if I just don't understand how it operates. It seems to have two modes. It will cool the room until it is very cold and won't stop regardless of the temperature setting. Or it will cool for a couple of minutes and then stop. Then restart and run a couple minutes and then stop. And so on. I have tried keeping the unit in auto mode but have also tried to just use cool mode. Also.. should the remote always be so hard to view? Is there a backlight?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Sean replied 5 months ago.

Let me look into my truck and see what I can find on this specific model

Expert:  Phil replied 5 months ago.

Hello, it will not do you any good if I beat around the bush on this issue.

Chigo is a chinese made AC unit, with marginal sales in the US and poor record for parts availability and service... the problem you are having is with the electronics controls, micro flaws in the printed circuit board... getting the part and finding someone who wants to work on it is a long shot in the US.. and the total cost can easily exceed the cost of a new unit in most cases.

Be grateful that it works at all, let me know about your technical skill sets if you want to attempt a repair yourself. we can go from there if you wish.