Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

My thermostat is flashing cool on, but not running, thermost

Customer Question

My thermostat is flashing cool on, but not running
JA: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?
Customer: thermost is less than a year old.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If I can.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I had the outside disconnect shut off and turned the tstat on and the blower motor runs. with the power on outside the blower does not run.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

Hello, make sure that breakers for the outside unit is on and that the disconnect switch is on. and that the thermostat is set to cooling and as low as it will go for this test.

If the unit does not then run, tell me a lot about your technical background and if you have a multi meter or not so that I can coach you most effectively.

We can go from there.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Let me get back to you in 10 minutes. The Ac motor kicked on and I want to make sure it doesnt cut out.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Im a retired electrician so I do have a mutimeter, but no AC gauges. I tried it on Fan only and it ran. Then I pulled the disconnect outside and turned on thermostat and the blower motor ran. I shut everything down and now it's been running ten minutes.
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

Sounds good, keep an eye on it, I will hold the question open, even if a note says closed, you can still post it and I will be notified.. we can go from there on the same dime so speak.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks, ***** *****! It's 90 degrees today!
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

If you have not cleaned the condenser coil on the outside unit in few years, that would cause the unit to trip its high pressure cut out control.

Stay in touch as needed, rate my work when we get the thing fixed, its how I earn a living and does not increase your charges,