Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I accidentally turned off power to my boiler this evening.

Customer Question

I accidentally turned off power to my boiler this evening. Now I have no warm water. It is a Weil-McLain gold plus. How do I reignite the flame?
JA: What's the make and model of your machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: House was built in 1999.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: W EIL – MCL a I N Gold plus.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I have a picture of the specs if that would help.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HVAC Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of you situation.

I need the actual model number of your unit? It should be on the rating tag on the boiler?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

That looks like the hot water tank rating tag not the boiler. I need to know what you have for a boiler. There is an additional charge for a phone call. If you want to talk then I'll post an additional service offer or we can continue here.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Let's continue here. What would a boiler look like? I will go in the basement.
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

The piping from that tank is connected to your boiler. The boiler is where the actual flame is that heats the water.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sent several new pics. Let me know if they went thru. Found boiler
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

I don't see any new pictures

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not sure why they're not going thru? I just tried to resend
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

Ok, you have a CG series boiler. What happened when you turned the power back on? Did the boiler make any noise? If not turn the power to the boiler off wait a minute then turn it back on again and tell me what happens.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
cg6spdn Is model. Circuit was turned off by electrician working on outlet in basement yesterday. That's all that happened. Just needs to be relit.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It does NOT have auto ignition . This happened last time breaker turned off for kitchen remodel.
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

Turning the power off shouldn't put out the pilot if it's a standing pilot. Here are instructions to relight the pilot.

Standing in front of your boiler find the squarish device that the gas piping connects to. This is the gas valve you will see a small 1/4" diameter silver tube (aluminum) connected to the gas valve. Follow this tube into the boiler to where the burners are. There should be a flame shield in your way this will need to be removed. The flame shield is just above the burners and is typically held on with a couple wing nuts. Once you remove the flame shield trace the silver tube to where it ends. What it is connected to is the pilot burner. On the gas valve there should be a dial that has indicators for ON, OFF & PILOT. The will also be an indicator (a red dot, an arrow) on the body of the gas valve right under the outer edge of the dial. The dial should be set to ON now. You need to turn the dial to pilot. Then light your match and hold it to the pilot burner. Now push down on the dial (occasionally there is a separate red button if you can't push the dial down) this will allow the gas to flow to the pilot burner. Once it's lit you need to hold the dial down for 60 to 90 seconds then you can let the dial back up. The pilot should stay lit. Now put your flame shield back and the dial to ON. At no time should you force the dial.

If the pilot doesn't stay lit when you release the dial/button then you probably need to replace the thermocouple. Probably not a DIY project.

Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

I have to leave for a while. I'll respond when I get back if you have more questions.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'll send you pic of that box. Not as u described.
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

That's the transformer not the gas valve. There's no gas pipe connected to it. You have to remove the front panel to get to the gas valve

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'll call a plumber. Thx.
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

Ok, thanks for trying Just Answer